Abogada Sonia Rosales2



            An authorization for studies allows you, as a foreigner, to reside in Spain as a student for a maximum time of 1 year with the only purpose of completing an academic formation including the posibility of involvement in non-paid internships with the purpose of fulfilling an academic file. Such authorization is regulated under ART. 38 Real Decreto 557/2011, April 20th.

    Required documentation:

    Visa and Student Stay Application. Both duplicated

    If you are a minor, you should have your parents or legal guardians´ authorization.

   Acceptance letter from an authorized academic institution in Spain.

    Proof of sufficient economic funds (7,500 euros anual average + paid studies) for your stay in Spain and return to the country of origin.

     You must have health insurance covering:: Hospitalization, healthcare and repatriation in case of death.

     If your stay will be longer than 6 months, you must present a certificate stating you have a clean criminal record and a medical certificate stating you do not suffer from a contagious disease that could be a concern to public health.

Procedure: Applications and documentantion has to be presented at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in you country of residency. Once the visa has been granted, you must get it and travel to Spain so that you can personally initiate the procedure to get your NIE card for studies.

In HABEAS LEGAL we can help you initiate this procedure in your country of origin with the visa application and also assist you during your stay in Spain until you obtain the Foreigner Identity Number (NIE Numero de Identidad de Extranjero) on the Identity Card (TIE Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) as a student, issued by the Spanish National Police.



What is TIE/NIE? It is the Foreigner Identity Card (TIE Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) which includes the Foreigner Identity Number (NIE Número de Identidad de Extranjero). In Spain, this card and number are issued by the National Spanish Police which corresponds to the province you will be residing in.

¿Who can apply for the TIE/NIE?: Any person who is authorized to remain in Spain for more than 6 months. You have to personally apply for the NIE during the first month from your official entry date into Spain.

¿How to get a TIE/NIE issued? First, if necessary, you must request an appointment (Cita Previa) at the Police Office from the muncipality or province where you will live.  /Servicios/Extranjería/Cita Previa/Expedición de Tarjeta-Huellas.

We advise to download the application Cita Previa Extranjería for mobile phones Android and request an appointment.  You may also request an appointment through internet. During the appointment at the Police Office, your fingerprints will be taken for your TIE/ NIE.

If for any reason you must travel outside of Spain and you already have your flight ticket, your firngerprints can be taken without an appointment.  You simply have to take your plane ticket two days before your trip and they will assit you at that moment.


Requirements and documentation to present the day of your appointment for the TIE/NIE:

1.- Application (original and copy). You may get it at the National Police Offices-Immigration. You must fill it out and bring it along with a copy of it the day of your appointment.  Turn in the application at the National Police Office from the municipality or province in which you live.

For example: In the city of Barcelona the Police Office is located  at: Estación de Policía “Sant Martí” Rambla Guipúzcoa, 74 08020- Barcelona, Hours: Monday through Friday from 9.00h a 14.00 h.

You may also download the application from:

2.- Original and Copy of your Passport, including your visa (student visa) issued by the Spanish Embassy in your country.  The Passport must include the entry stamp to Europe. If you do not have the stamp, bring with you a copy of the flight ticket to Spain.

3.- Acceptance Letter from the University or other academic institution where you will be studying.  

4.- Certificate from your academic studies, specifying the duration and schedule of your classes. It is mandatory that the certificate includes the date of the finalization of your studies. (Al least 6 months).

5.- Census Certificate.  It is the official document which shows your address and basic information regarding your residence in Spain.  Even a foreigner with an irregular status should be registered with the census office of the place where he/she is living.

For example: To obtain this certificate in Barcelona, you may request it at Plaza Sant Miquel OAC (Oficina de Atención al Ciudadano)- This office is open from 8:00 am until 8:00 pm Monday through Saturday. They assist everyone from any district of Barcelona

6.- Two recent photographs (ID size – tamaño carnet).

7.- Payment rate: IMPORTANT: You must make a payment for the administrative process of the TIE/NIE card.  The day you present your documents at the National Police Office-Immigration, they will give you a form to be paid at the bank.  Within the next 3 to 6 weeks after your fingerprints are taken, (they will tell you when) you must take the paid form with you when you pick up your definite TIE/NIE card (plastic card).


This is a procedure which must be done annually if after you have finished your academic studies in Spain you would like to continue with another, same level (degree) or higher degree studies. This procedure is regulated  under  ART. 40 Real Decreto 557/2011, April 20th.

    Required Documentation:

    The same documentation provided previously when you were given the last visa and authorization for studies.

    Original and copy of the application and requiered payment receipt.

    Proof of the necessary economic means. You can have a bank account or the written consent that you will count on your family’s economic support.

    Medical insurance. Its policy must be valid and have the required coverage.

     Certificate stating you have successfully finished the studies for which the first student authorization (first TIE/NIE) was granted to you.


Procedure: You must present the application along with all the required documentation for the procedure at the corresponding Immigration Office within the periods established by law (60 days before or 90 days after the expiration date) and then, once you get a favorable result, you must go to the National Police Office to process the new  Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE/NIE).


In HABEAS LEGAL we advise you so that you fulfill/obey the immigration regulations. We help you prepare the application and we verify that all the documentation you present is correct and meets the existing regulation; all this with the purpose to obtain a favorable result.





En Habeas Legal te ayudamos con nuestro METODO HABEAS DE LAS 3P’s

PREPARACIÓN-particular, PRESENTACIÓN-personalizada y PROCESO-persecución de lo presentado si no responden en los plazos establecidos o si deniegan nuestra solicitud. Para asesorías presenciales o por videollamada, reserva tu asesoría legal a través de nuestro sitio web:

1f310 - La autorización inicial de residencia temporal y trabajo por Cuenta Propia Web:

1f4de - La autorización inicial de residencia temporal y trabajo por Cuenta Propia Tels: (+34) 931 122 743 y 930 075 341

HABEAS contigo!

Habeas Legal abogados y mediadores internacionales

Escriba su Consulta Legal

*campos requeridos

Escriba su Consulta Legal